Promethazine – causes sedative effect, has antiemetic effect. It has also pronounced to be an adrenoblocking remedy, which moderates peripheral and central anticholinergic action. The effect starts already in 20 minutes after ingestion and lasts up to 6 hours, sometimes up to 12 hours.
The drug is used to cure some allergic diseases and reactions such as: rash, itching, eczema, drug rash, serum sickness, Quincke’s edema, hay fever, anaphylactic shock, bronchial obstructive syndrome (as part of complex therapy).
Also it is prescribed for the treatment of skin diseases (including eczema, neurodermatitis, diathesis, contact dermatitis and toxicodermia).
When administered orally for adults, the daily dose of the drug is 75-100 mg.
Maximum dosage: during oral administration, single dose – 75 mg, daily – 500 mg; It is used in the composition of lytic mixtures.
Children of 1 – 2 years take 5-10 mg 1-2 times a day; from 2 – 5 years – 5-10 mg 1-3 times a day; From 5 – 10 years – 5-15 mg 1-3 times a day; Older than 10 years and adolescents take 5-20 mg of Promethazine 1-3 times a day. In case of emergency (asthmatic status, false cereal), the dose may be increased to 1-2 mg / kg.
- simultaneous use of MAO inhibitors,
- coma (including on the background of alcohol intoxication),
- severe disorders of the liver function,
- first trimester of pregnancy,
- lactation (breastfeeding),
- early childhood (2 months),
- hypersensitivity to promethazine or other phenothiazine derivatives.
– Moderately expressed numbness of the oral mucosa, dry mouth, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, unpleasant sensations; Rarely – jaundice.
– Drowsiness, dizziness, anxiety, lethargy, fatigue, impaired coordination of movements, impaired vision; Rarely – tinnitus, euphoria, nervousness, insomnia, seizures, oculogic crisis, catatonic status, hysteria, psychomotor agitation, extrapyramidal disorders, headache, nystagmus.
– Tachycardia, bradycardia, palpitation, fainting, arterial hypotension (with iv introduction), arrhythmias.
– Contact dermatitis, photosensitivity, urticaria.
– Leukopenia, agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, thrombocytopenic purpura.
– Exanthema, urticaria, angioedema, anaphylactic reactions.
– Irregular breathing, urinary retention.